Tuesday, August 21, 2012

And So It Begins...

Dramatic, right? I will admit, there were a lot of emotions flowing as I sat through the first class of what will be a two-semester senior capstone course. Over the next nine months I will be working with a cross-disciplinary team of students to create a video game from the ground up. If all goes well, this game will be released on the XBox Live Indie Market. This is the kind of opportunity that could be an enormous springboard into an exciting career in the entertainment industry - something I have dreamed of since I was a kid. Realizing that all my efforts over the years of my academic career  have led me to this point has me very excited--and a bit anxious. This is it. The big one. The course that will show what I'm made of. The course that will either provide me with amazing experiences and valuable portfolio pieces or the course that will be an epic 9 month failure.

I can' t wait to dig in and start. Each student has been tasked with providing an individual game pitch. From these pitches, 10 or so games will be selected as finalists from which two or three games will finally be selected for production. It's surreal to think that one of all those crazy game ideas I've had over the years could actually become a reality. Regardless of which title I will end up working on, I hope to be a valuable asset to my team and hope that my team shares the same enthusiasm I do.

So, as Mario would say, "Here we goooooo!"

No comments:

Post a Comment